Hancock County Illinois Clerk & Recorder
Serving the Citizens
 of Hancock County

» Home
» Audit
» Birth Certificates
» Death Certificates
» Election
» Hancock County Budget
» Hancock County Facts
» Holiday Schedule
» Land Search
» Lien Search
» Marriage Certified Copy
» Marriage License Application
» Recording

Who Do I Call?
Common Questions
Assessments and Tax Exemptions
Court Cases and Traffic Tickets
Driver's License and Vehicles
Hunting Fishing, and Boat Licenses
Occupational Licenses
Pharmaceutical Assistance and Circuit Breaker
Property Tax Payments
Sales Tax
Vital Records (outside the county)
Veterans Programs

» About Us
» Contact Us
Voter Registration

Voter Registration

Commonly asked questions:

1. Where can I register to vote?

You can register to vote at the Courthouse, in Carthage, Illinois, between the hours of 8 A.M. and 4 P.M. You may also register with any driver's license station in the state as long as you have other business with them. We also have deputy registrars through out the county, you may contact us and see if there is one close to you.

2. What do I need to bring to register to vote?

You will need two forms of Identification, one with your current residence address on it. Acceptable forms of identification are an Illinois driver's license, Illinois State ID. card, a piece of mail, Student ID. card, or checkbook.

3. Can I register to vote any time?

Registration is open year round except: during the 27-day period just prior to an election and during the 2-day period after each election.

4. Do I ever have to re-register?

No, not unless you have moved to a different address. This includes if you just move from one apartment to another in the same building. Also, if
you have a change of name, you must re-register.

5. I moved but I didn't change my address, can I still vote?

If it is a general primary or general election, you will be allowed to vote Federal Only ballot. Meaning that you will only be able to vote for federal offices that up for election at that time. The Election Judges will also have you fill out a change of address form, so that at the next election you will be able to vote the entire ballot, as long as your voter information hasn't changed.

6. My name has changed since I last voted, and I didn't change it. Can I still vote?

If you changed your name more than 27 days before the election and did not re-register, you cannot vote - unless you live in the same precinct. If you live in the same precinct, you may sign an affidavit at the polling place attesting that you are the same person, in which case you will be given the full ballot.

7. How do you vote absentee?

You must contact the Election/Voter Registration office and request an application for an absentee ballot. You can do this 28 days before an election. Once the application has been received back in the office, your ballot will be mailed to you, which you will then vote and return.
You may also vote in person, in the Election/Voter Registration office located in the County Courthouse, during regular office hours. You will fill
out the absentee application, and then be given your ballot. You will then vote your ballot, and return it while you are there.



  Copyright ©2013 Hancock County Illinois Clerk and Recorder  All rights reserved.